Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Will he LOVE grapes?

I'm a big fan of borrowing other people's ideas...isn't that the most sincere form of flattery? So when I read this the other day, I thought I might write a little bit about my pregnancy food regimen.

From about week 6 to week 12, I didn't want anything. Even my most valued food possession in the house - the bowl of crispy M&Ms - just sat there. Every day I looked at them and thought: "Nah, don't feel like it today."



I quickly realized this was probably a blessing in disguise. I mean, pre-pregnancy, I could eat an entire "pounder" bag of M&Ms in one sitting and not blink an eye. So, by having them simply not even look appetizing, I probably saved myself a good 5-10 pounds of what I would have obviously called pregnancy weight.

I knew I was heading out of the woods of the first trimester when all of a sudden I wanted to eat those crispy M&Ms. Fortunately, they'd now been sitting on our counter for 3 months and kinda looked gross....but yes, I still ate a good number of them!

But even then, after about a handful, I was content. The thought of housing a pounder bag did not sound fun anymore. And then somewhere around the middle of the second trimester, chocolate began to give me heartburn when consumed in more-than-a-handful-sized quantities.

I've had no real cravings for anything in particular. Well, from the beginning, I noticed a growing love of chips and salty things, so I suppose you could say I have craved them. But I haven't had Simon running to the store at midnight for anything - except TUMS once.



All of this to say....I've had many women tell me how much they loved being pregnant because they just ate whatever they wanted without a care in the world. I usually just smile and give a nice Church Lady-like "well, isn't that special."
 
But what I really want to say is: "Why would you do that? Isn't  now probably the most important time in your life to be eating well?" Perhaps one day I'll understand?
 
Now that I'm into the third trimester, I have indeed become HUNGRY from time to time. I told Simon last weekend that I felt like I was back in marathon training where you eat and then 2 hours later you're starving again. As during marathon training, I'm working on being good and sticking to healthier snacks like granola, yogurt, fruit, etc, but man, is the Dairy Queen down the street looking more and more appetising (and no, I have not made a run for DQ....YET).
 
I've probably eaten my weight in grapes and apples, but I just can't seem to get enough of them - especially the grapes at night! So my guess is that Baby Z will either passionately love or passionately hate grapes when he arrives (and grows teeth, of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment