Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Run for Angela Post-Event Update

Race day was this past weekend, and it was actually quite fun! Waking up at 6:30 on a Saturday was not necessarily fun, but somehow I managed! Of course Simon and Xander had no problems getting up that early! 

We arrived to the start line just early enough for Simon to drop me off, us to get Xander settled (asleep) in the stroller and me to go pee (key before running any distance, I assure you). Xander and Simon went off to peruse Wal-mart and the rest of the strip mall while I mingled with the other runners and vendors (of course running into someone else from Socastee High School). 

It was a small crowd, but I was still impressed by the size due to the rainy start to the morning and overcast skies. Luckily it had stopped raining by the time we arrived at the start and didn't rain again until later that day. The 6.2 kilometers were a bit hilly, but I was plesantly surprised when I rounded a corner and saw the  back of the strip mall ahead of me. That was right after I found this guy to follow:



He definitely made the last little bit FUN to run. When I got to the end, I found this crew....well, really I just found Simon and Xander, but the Michaud posse wasn't too far away. Lucinda evidently was ready to race Xander....next year we will make that happen!


Before stuffing my face at  breakfast with the Michauds, JP and I paused for a photo with Angela's poster. There were probably 10 or so of these posted on the window of a local running store who supported the race. It was sad/sweet to see.


A close up of my running shirt - which also doubles as SPF too.



 All in all it was a great run. I raised $665 for Miles Against Melanoma. THANKS to everyone who contributed!! I hope to be back next year and raise even more!



2 comments:

  1. Allison, I love this. That poster is so sweet. Did JP run too or did he and his family come to cheer you on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mauri - JP couldn't run this one....has a hurt back, so his family just came to cheer me on. :)

      Delete