Friday, September 14, 2012

How Training for a Marathon Prepared Me for Pregnancy

While on the treadmill today, I had a thought: "I've felt like this before...." When? How? Then it hit me....during my previous marathon trainings. So here are my thoughts is my thought on how all those months of running prepped me for all these months of growing a baby:
  1. Both consume your life
OK, so here's how/why that happens:
  • Both dictate when, how much and how often you go to the bathroom....and yes, I went straight for the bathroom commentary. If you've either grown a baby or trained for a marathon, you know why.
  • Both dictate your sleeping patterns - everything from going to bed at 7 p.m.; waking up at 5 a.m.; and the achy hips you discover at 3 a.m.
  • Both totally dictate your eating patterns. You have never in your life wanted a milkshake so badly nor ever in your life known a milkshake was probably the worst thing you could consume...which leads me to...
  • Both make you ridiculously responsible. From not drinking alcohol while prego to wearing sneakers with your dress pants for safety the week before your race.

Yes, that's been me!


So yes, I am still running at 30 weeks pregnant. Why bother, you may ask? Well, for me, running has become my free version of therapy. I take the time to either:
a) watch trashy television while on the treadmill OR
b) jam out to some total chick rock music while on the road.
After a mere 30 minutes of running, I have worked up a good, healthy sweat and have forgotten about any and all things that may have stressed me out just 30 minutes prior.

When I got pregnant I did some research (OK, Googled the heck out of it) about running while pregnant, asked my doctors, asked some friends who are moms and runners, and finally I came to terms with the fact that I might only have a few weeks left with my afternoon therapy session. The consensus among the aforementioned group of experts (including Google) was somewhere in the 20s, I'd probably have to stop running and resign myself to walking. :(

So here I am at week 30 and still enjoying running. I can't believe it! Granted, I'm not getting my usual 3 miles in 30 minutes anymore, but who cares! With a little 5-minutes walking warm up, I can hang in there for at least 20 minutes of jogging. I don't get as sweaty anymore because everyone says it's important not to overheat (and I keep the fans directly on me at the gym), but that's worked out well too since my hair isn't gross and sticking to my face afterward!

With 10 weeks to go, I'm sure the day will come soon enough where even a mere 20 minutes seems like an eternity to me on the treadmill. Until then...I'm going to be hitting the rubber road - aka treadmill with fan and TV.

And yes, I've given up wearing heels to work again.....no one seems to mind or really to have even noticed!


1 comment:

  1. Way to go Allison! Do what you feel comfortable with, you'll know when it's time to scale back. For baby #1 I ran until about 28 weeks at which point it became more of a shuffle :) I walked with baby #2 (since I was also pushing a stroller). Baby #2 was 1 pound heavier and I attest some of that to me being a leaner mom the first time around. Time to start reviewing jogging strollers if you haven't already :)

    ReplyDelete