Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Thoughts on Feeding

Now that I'm almost 4 months into this whole full-time mom thing, I finally feel ready to explain one aspect of my birth experience that no book, website, friend, etc talked about: Low milk production.

My simple advice on this: trust your instincts. People tell you this all the time...about all sorts of things....but I found it to be a really good measure of what was right for me during this time.

So from the time we got home with Xander, he was a cranky, crying baby. I had resigned myself to the fact that I had the infamous "colicy" baby. I remember waking up from naps during the day to find Simon downstairs with my  hair dryer creating white noise so that Xander would remain calm. (it worked like a charm).
Obviously this isn't Xander, but we did put him on top of the dryer once!


We went to our first lactation visit, and she told us we were doing great. She also told me to get some cabbage leaves at the house because my milk should be coming in any day now, and I should be prepared! So after a couple of days of NOT needing cabbage leaves, I began to wonder what was up. Then after over a week of no real "mustardy-seedy" poop from our lil man, I knew something wasn't right. My instincts said it was me since I'd not felt "full" ever. So we took him back to the doctor only to find he'd lost more than 10 percent of his birth weight....cause for concern!

The lactation consultant's solution for me was to nurse more, pump in between and take some herbs that make you smell like syrup. So, of course, I did that, which took up my entire life. By the time you're done nursing and pumping, it's time to start it all over again. I also heard/read all kinds of theories on other things I could do...from drinking beer to eating more fat. While those sound like fun in general, the thought of being drunk and fat wasn't really appealing...but of course I tried. Still nothing. So heaven forbid....we started supplementing, and wouldn't you know it...Xander wasn't colicy...he was HUNGRY. So after three months of constant nursing, pumping, crying and not sleeping, Xander is now a totally formula fed baby....and totally happy.


 
Does this look like an unhealthily/unhappy baby to you?
 
After visiting my general MD for my annual exam, we discovered I have low thyroid, for which I am now taking medication. Evidently only 4% of nursing moms have this, but it would have been nice if someone in the OB office or the pediatrician's office might have suggested I have this checked after every other attempt at getting more milk failed me.

And let me tell you....I got plenty of condemning looks/comments from people during this whole process....the kind of look/comment that says, "Oh, I'm not judging you, but clearly you're not trying hard enough." or "Oh my, you're giving your baby formula. I'm so sorry for your loss." Usually my response was simply, "I was a formula fed baby, as was my husband, and we were perfectly healthy babies. And no, we don't think our mothers hated us either." Sometimes I almost got to the point of whipping out educational degrees, salaries and SAT scores to prove to people that even in the 70s, formula was pretty darn effective. As one of my friends who went through a similar situation said, "It's formula people, not poison!"

I feel like the "pro-baby" movement kinda got in the way of me being able to find out other, physiological things that might be causing me to have low production. You have to do some very specific Google searching to find anything about low thyroid and milk production. While initially I was very excited and pleased when I heard about how "baby friendly" my hospital and OB practice was, I feel they let me down a bit. They seemed ready to do everything in their power to help me exclusively breastfeed for the first 12 months, and I was ready, so I thought, with loads of information on how to make this work...even after going back to work. Now I wish they would/could have shared a little more "just in case" type of information with us.

After sharing my experience with a couple of friends/coworkers, I have discovered that I am not the only one out there who struggled with finding new/other information about feeding. Several people have now told me that they went through the whole nursing, pumping, crying fiasco I went through only to never find an answer to their struggle and basically not sleep for several months of their child's life, which can't be good for anyone. Why does no one talk about this? Ladies, speak up....share your experiences. Don't be ashamed to say you had to give your baby formula even though you know "breast is best." Maybe your story can help someone like me not feel like an utter failure. I hope by me sharing this here, someone will feel better about her experience or perhaps share my experience with a woman she knows who is struggling.


1 comment:

  1. Oh Allison! Thanks for sharing, but I'm so sorry you had to deal with all that stress. I know I'm guilty of being a breastmilk cheerleader because even when it's "easy" it's hard and the only thing that got me through was having cheerleaders. I think you can securely say you did EVERYTHING possible to make it work and just like every other choice you make for XYZ (cloth vs disposable, paci or no, etc) you're doing what's best for your child and family. Keep the cute baby pics comin'!

    ReplyDelete