Monday, November 5, 2012

Right on the money...at 37 weeks

After a week of nothing happening, I'm happy to report that we still have nothing happening! :)

My boss couldn't be happier. Every morning he swings by my desk and happily says, "You're still here!" I suppose it's good to be needed! People keep asking, "so how long are you going to work?" This only makes me wish (for like 2 seconds) we lived in Canada, where mom gets 1 YEAR off to have the baby. I'm working up until we're on the way to the hospital because here in the USA we clearly think it's no big deal to give birth and/or raise a child for that matter! I mean who thinks 12 weeks is enough time for anything....I took longer to train for my marathons! Anywho - this is a whole other situation for a whole other blog (which I do not plan on starting).

On a less controversial note: we had Lori double check Baby Z's car seat for us, and of course, she was able to tighten the strap in basically another inch or so! I'd seen her do this before - she basically is small enough to put her entire body in the car seat base and use all her weight to squish out that extra inch of safety in the strap. It's like magic. Simon and I are just too big/bulky to maneuver our bodies in such small places. So now I'm convinced Baby Z's car seat is going NOWHERE, which is great. Everyone should have tiny people in their lives for purposes such as this.

Today's 37 week appointment went fine. Baby Z's numbers are good, my numbers are good, and I'm pretty sure the doctor is now convinced I WILL make it to 40 weeks. (and I kinda am too) He just gave me this look like, "You're way too comfortable to be having a baby any time soon." OK, so maybe I'm reading into his facial expressions a bit too much...who knows! And his "right on the money" comment as he was measuring my belly sounded like he had won some bet with the receptionist about where I'd be measuring today.

I suppose something did happen, I've gone from 1 cm to 2 cm dilated this week, so I suppose that's progress. After all, I guess I could have regressed and hit 0, right?

And after giving up running last week, I have begun walking. It's been pretty good for the most part. We have a lake with a walking trail at work, so I'm able to get out and enjoy some fresh air in a beautiful fall setting most days. This weekend I took to our treadmill at the house, which is super convenient.

We've been pretty busy with odds and ends, which has helped keep me distracted from the fact that last week I was convinced I'd have a baby by this time this week, and now I'm convinced I have another 3 weeks to go!

Luckily, one of my friends from home recently moved to Charlotte, and it's been so great having her and her husband nearby now. They have a 12 week old. Last night we met them at another friend's house for dinner - and they have an-almost 6 month old . It was awesome to be able to see where Baby Z will be in 3-6 months and to have these friends so close to us. I joked that the three couples should do our New Year's party together since we'll all be in bed by 12:01!

 
Well, here's hoping there's something more exciting to report next week!

1 comment:

  1. Glad everything is "right on the money." Hope you continue to feel well.

    Be sure to use this time before baby arrives wisely. I naively thought that since I wasn't "working" I would have time to read some of my parenting books and finish the nursery once maternity leave started. How silly of me! As soon as Alden arrived my entire concept of "busy" was turned upside down. Already almost a month has slipped by and all I can remember is giving birth and then a blur of nonstop feedings, diaper changes, sleep deprivation, and watching our generally tidy house turn into an explosion of burp cloths and bottles.

    Maternity leave is seriously barely enough time for recovery and bonding. Agree with everything you said in your post about wishing I had a year off.

    But it's totally worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete